This “coleslaw” is so light and equally beneficial for your gut (and overall health) at the same time! Plus did you know that cabbage is a great source of Vitamin C?
I created this recipe because I’ve never been a fan of coleslaw due to the nasty white dressing that is commonly mixed with it. However, crunchy light salads or side dishes are my jam! This recipe is far from your traditional coleslaw but one that you can still serve with all of your favorite backyard BBQ items. After all, a life in balance is a life well lived, you just have to find your own secret sauce that works for you!
One thing to keep in mind with this recipe is to remember that I don’t encourage measuring and instead intuitive insight. However, to get you started, I’ve included what feel like approximate measurements of each ingredient. If something doesn’t taste right to you, play around with it until it suits your needs. Remember time in the kitchen is supposed to be fun!
Feel free to make it your own and don’t forget to tag @ambuwellness on Instagram or Facebook!
- 1 10oz bag of shredded green cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 cucumber, diced or sliced into matchsticks
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup kraut – rec. Cleveland Kitchen Beet Red Kraut
- 3 tbsp flaxseed oil or olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine shredded cabbage, kraut, and diced cucumber and tomato.
- Top with recommended measurements of oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine. Taste to see if you prefer more of any ingredient*.
- Refrigerate to serve** cold and enjoy!
*Add more red wine vinegar for a tangier taste.
**Serve as a side item, consume over a bed of leafy greens, or throw it on top of your (veggie) burger and add some sliced avocado for a twisted burger!