The past year and a half to more frequently, eighth months, I’ve been crafting up a variety of mostly plant-based recipes all built around eating for the purpose of nourishing our bodies while still enjoying the foods we’ve taught ourselves to crave. Such as desserts and relative to this recipe: cookies.
First of all, I would love to know a human being who doesn’t like cookies. Cookies are so versatile there is usually a flavor for everyone, they are easy to make and equally easy to consume, and they are just such delicious treats! Cookies typically carry an emotional bond for us as well, whether they remind of us of one of our first cooking experiences with our mom, memories around the holidays, or a visit to our grandmothers and getting to reach in her ever-full cookie jar.
So with that, after some Instagram inspiration (because who isn’t inspired by constant food posts) I crafted up this delicious and simple 4C Cookie recipe. The 4C in this recipe is because the main ingredients are chickpeas, coconut, chia seeds, and chocolate (or cacao).
4C COOKIE RECIPE:
Key Ingredients: Chickpeas, Coconut, Chia Seeds, Chocolate
*Please note that consistencies may vary as most do when cooking plant-based due to different products and ingredient lists. In addition, your cook time and oven temperature depends on your oven and ingredients you elect to use!! So be flexible and understand you may have to alter some amounts.
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut milk (or nut milk of choice)
1tsp baking soda
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp chia seeds
Small handful of unsweetened coconut shreds (adjust to your liking)
Dark chocolate chips and/or cacao chips – (recommend always using dairy free and unsweetened)
1. Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender (hold chips & coconut shreds)
*Note that if you are using a blender you may need to add a bit more liquid so as to not overwhelm the blender or add the peanut butter after primary ingredients are blended to a cookie dough like consistency.
2. Fold in chocolate chips and coconut shreds
3. Form into cookie dough balls and place on baking sheet.
*I prefer to grease my baking sheets with a tiny amount of coconut oil
4. Bake cookies and allow them to cool for 7 minutes upon removing from the oven. Cookies will continue to cook while cool.
*2 suggested cooking options:
375 – 12 mins
325 – 25 mins
Suggested Variations To Recipe:
Below are a few different variations or twists that you can make on these cookies as well:
-Sub tahini or different nut butters instead of peanut butter
– Sub different nut milks instead of coconut milk. My second fav to cook with is cashew milk
– Sub honey or agave instead of vanilla extract
– Nix the chocolate and/or coconut shreds if those aren’t your thing
– Add a handful of GF oats for more of an oatmeal cookie vibe
– Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg or pumpkin spice to the cookie dough before baking
Enjoy and please share your cooking creations with me on Instagram at @lovingyourownsoul – I would love to see them!